Thursday 9 June 2016

Anniversary of the first fit

A year ago yesterday S had her first fit. I've just looked back at what I wrote during the first few days after the fit and I sound pretty hopeful that S would walk again. Several thoughts occur to me about this now. One is that if we had not been so let down by physios she could have managed to walk again - after a fashion and never without support. But I also see now that her walking was becoming more and more erratic in the weeks leading up to the fit and it's very likely that, even without the fit, we would probably have been in a a very similar situation regarding walking as we are now. In fact, S can take a few paces with support and we get her doing this at least once a week She is always keen to do it and I'm sure it does her good in a number of ways. It also makes me think that, in the event of a fire, we could stagger to and out of the front door which is only a couple of metres from the bedroom door.

I also realise that had we not had the crisis a year ago we may have struggled on with the fairly modest level of help we had (6 hours a week) for much longer and that situation could easily have led to more potentially serious falls. It's also unlikely that we would ever have met the wonderful carer K and our other very good carer who have made such a difference to both our lives. And, of course, it's quite possible that, although we would have had to get more help eventually we would not now have nearly as much as we do.

Finally, it's important for me to keep reminding myself that S is not essentially different from how she was just before the fit a year ago and she is actually better cared for now than she was then.

No comments:

Post a Comment